Rwanda National Land Use Planning Portal
The national land use planning portal is a web platform where land use plans and related information such as maps are stored to make them easily accessible. This portal has been established with the financial support of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) through the LAND Project with the primary objectives of disseminating national and district land use plans to the public; facilitating access to information related to land use planning in Rwanda; and increasing awareness and education on land use planning in Rwanda.
From the start, the data available on the portal focus mainly on the national land use development master plan, both districts land use and urban plans and some regulations on land use and urban planning in Rwanda. All data available are presented in different format including text, maps, PDF etc. Depending on your user role, some data may not be available to you. The services and gallery features of the portal (Administrative Boundaries, Land Use Plans and other spatial data) determine who gets what, and in what format. The search engine provides a alternate access to the public portal content.
The portal is designated for a wide range of users including general public, leaders, and policy makers such as government ministries, professionals and those in the education sector.
What are the benefits?
The main goal of the portal is to provide citizens, local and central government administration, entrepreneurs and academic institutions with access to land use planning information drawn from official documents, assuring data quality, timeliness and credibility. For this reason, the portal benefits both the information providers and information users.
For the information providers, the portal will:
- Improve service delivery by making available relevant, consistent and up to date land use plans in electronic format;
- Enable development of information society, entrepreneurship, increasing innovativeness and competitiveness of enterprises;
- Facilitate cooperation and collaboration among data holders and end users;
- Provide a platform for potential data integration;
- Establish a well-organized land use planning community through public-private-partnership;
- Create a land use planning portal as an integral part of the e-Government programme.
Whilst for the portal users, the benefits are:
- Quick and easy access to up to date and accurate data on land use planning data at a minimum cost;
- Increased awareness on land use planning in Rwanda;
- Increased transparency in accessing to data/information on land use planning.